The first big snowfall of the year has arrived, and the roads have already become very dangerous. No one plans to be involved in a car accident, yet there will be hundreds of crashes over the next few days due to bad driving conditions. This raises a few simple questions, most of which are racing through your head after skidding off the road. What is the first thing I should do if I get into an auto accident? Who do I call? What is my best plan of action? Who do I see/what do I do if I am injured?
The doctors at Northern Edge Chiropractic of Plymouth, Minnesota want to make sure you are prepared and stay safe during these dangerous driving conditions. Below we have provided a check list of things to do if you are involved in a car accident.
The Plymouth Minnesota Chiropractor’s Car Accident Checklist
- Stay calm and make sure the scene is safe before exiting your car.
- Check to see if you or any passengers have sustained injuries, then call 911 immediately. Even during small fender benders it is good to contact the police to report the accident, so there are not discrepancies in stories of how the accident happened.
- Move the car to the shoulder of the road or into a safe zone if possible. If you or your passenger are injured don’t attempt to leave the car. Your injuries may need professional attention.
- Make sure to exchange proper insurance and personal information with all parties involved in the accident. Address, phone number and insurance information should be collected from all other parties. If you can collect information and follow up with witnesses from the accident if any are present.
- Do not place blame or state that the accident was your fault. Let the authorities and facts play out to find who is at fault.
- Contact your insurance agent as soon as possible to report the accident and make sure no steps are missed in the process of filing your claim.
- Make sure you know what is covered under your insurance policy. Liability comprehensive coverage, repairs and car rental are the basics. In the state of MN personal injury protection (PIP) is already a part of your coverage under any car insurance policy.
- Take note of how you are feeling directly after the accident. Most soft tissue injuries sustained in motor vehicle accidents take time to develop. If asked at the scene of an accident, “Are you ok?” the best response would be “I can’t tell at the moment.”
- Take pictures of the accident and any injuries sustained from the accident.
- Pain is not always the best indicator of an injury. Make sure to get yourself checked by the doctors at Northern Edge Chiropractic as soon as possible following your accident. If you think you are seriously injured the best choice is to not wait and have someone drive you to the emergency room.
Remember, car accidents are inevitable this time of year For more tips to help get you through the snow without being injured please click here! If you are involved in a car accident and live in Plymouth, Minnesota or the surrounding areas, call the doctors at Northern Edge Chiropractic to get checked out for any lingering long term damage. We will set up an initial consultation and examination followed by a free half hour massage for anyone who has been injured in a car accident.